Miami History
Miami History Podcast
History of Dade County Courthouses in Miami
0:00
-29:52

History of Dade County Courthouses in Miami

This podcast episode features the different Dade County courthouses that were located in the City of Miami from the formation of the county. Dade County was created in 1836 and the county seat resided in Indian Key, along the banks of the Miami River, and in Juno, until a county-wide vote placed it in the City of Miami in 1899.

The first county courthouse in Miami was located in a two-story building on the east side of Avenue D, the future South Miami Avenue, from 1899 until 1904. The first courthouse located on Twelfth Street, the future Flagler Street, opened in 1904 and was expected to accommodate the county’s business for fifty years. However, the growth of the county required a larger courthouse by the mid-1920s. Today’s Dade County courthouse was opened on September 6, 1928, but will soon be replaced by a new structure being constructed just west of the current building.

0 Comments
Miami History
Miami History Podcast
The Miami History Podcast will cover topics on the people, places and events that have shaped Miami's 120+ year history as a city. The hosts are Miami historian Dr. Paul S. George and history blogger Casey Piket.